[Framework-Team] Re: 3.2 Release Manager

Martin Aspeli optilude at gmx.net
Tue Jun 24 21:45:43 UTC 2008

Helge Tesdal wrote:
> On 24. jun. 2008, at 22:45, Spanky wrote:
>
>> Before I make my case, the reason I didn't simply say "I'll do it!" is
>> because I'd like to know a little bit more about the job.  This is
>> what I was really asking for.  I certainly don't want to volunteer for
>> something I cannot do :)  So, I asked what the job entails.  Is it
>> very code-centric or more process-oriented?  To me, it seems this job
>> is about making sure that the appropriate parties are providing the
>> pieces required for the release (cutting releases/making eggs),
>> compiling everything, running tests, communicating with everyone on
>> this and other teams, tagging releases, managing changelogs, building
>> consensus about versions/features/direction, etc.  Basically
>> "managing" the "release". Maybe I'm totally off-base.  Either way, I'd
>> like to learn.
>
> Saying no to people trying to get new features into bugfix releases,
> even though it's unpopular decisions, and even if it's limi who really
> wants to. ;)

Or optilude. :-)

Other useful things that Wichert has done:

  - setting realistic deadlines
  - harassing people to meet said deadlines
  - reading code in checkins
  - complaining when checkins break our policies
  - updating/soliciting release notes
  - "owning" the stability of a release by setting appropriate standards
and performing final testing

Cheers,