[Framework-Team] 3.2 Release Manager

Spanky spanky at 3x6x9.com
Tue Jun 24 20:45:48 UTC 2008

Greetings Framework Team:

I was following the thread re: Plone 3.2 release, and I volunteered to
help manage this release.  After getting no replies, I asked in #plone
and got the response (from limi) that this team choses the release
manager, and that some kind of track record is expected.  This is
understandable.

Before I make my case, the reason I didn't simply say "I'll do it!" is
because I'd like to know a little bit more about the job.  This is what
I was really asking for.  I certainly don't want to volunteer for
something I cannot do :)  So, I asked what the job entails.  Is it very
code-centric or more process-oriented?  To me, it seems this job is
about making sure that the appropriate parties are providing the pieces
required for the release (cutting releases/making eggs), compiling
everything, running tests, communicating with everyone on this and other
teams, tagging releases, managing changelogs, building consensus about
versions/features/direction, etc.  Basically "managing" the "release".
Maybe I'm totally off-base.  Either way, I'd like to learn.

Now to make my case, and explain why *I* of all people would volunteer
for this.  First, it seems that this, of all releases, is the 'easiest'
in a while if I read everyone's ideas correctly; that this would be only
be a move to an egg & buildout-based install, some bugfixes and nothing
more.  To me, this seems like a good opportunity for someone like myself
to get involved and learn more about the process.  I have been using and
learning more and more about eggs/buildouts/omelettes/etc lately, and
will only continue to do more in the coming year.  Also, I think that
this is a great opportunity to expand the pool of people available to do
such work in the future.  I know from my experiences in the community
over the years, that this is a challenging job, and it seems like some
new blood might be a good investment.

Finally, I have the time and energy, and want to be more directly
involved in Plone itself, rather than just a cheerleader/consumer.  I
already work closely with the membership team, although is basically a
quarterly commitment.  Sure, I don't have a proven track record working
on this specifically, but I *do* have a proven track record of working
with the Plone community, building consensus, prodding and driving folks
to get things done, as well as attention to detail and good
communication skills.

So, I'd like to talk about it with the team.  Sure, maybe I'm not the
right person for the job, and if that's the consensus, so be it.  Why
would I try to do a job I'm sure to fail at?  But maybe there is room
for someone to mentor me, or for me to assist in the back-n-forth,
communication, or grunt work?  I'm willing to learn and open to ideas
and suggestions.  You gotta start somewhere, right...but you can't do it
alone either.

~Spanky