[Framework-Team] Plone Release Calendar and the Plone Development Process

Christian Scholz cs at comlounge.net
Wed Jan 23 13:56:10 UTC 2008

Hi everybody!

Recently I was a bit confused what the actual development process
actually is and if there might be additional ways to inform people of
deadlines etc.

As I usually react better to stuff in my calendar than mailing lists (as
they sometimes become too much traffic for me to handle) I setup a
Google Calendar with the next dates regarding the 3.1 release (or
releases in general but 3.1 is all I knew about).

So here are all the details:

http://mrtopf.de/blog/plone/the-plone-release-calendar/

(some people are also already subscribed to it).

After doing that I learned that Andreas did something similar for the
3.1 release on the release page.

Another way might be to put important deadline on the planet, some
people might prefer RSS.

Another thing I wasn't clear about was what submitting a PLIP means. I
thought it was about changing the workflow state on the PLIP but as I
know now it's about mailing it to this list.

As I might not be the only one not being clear about all this I wonder
if we could improve documentation a bit (and I'd be happy to update the
page on plone.org). Additionally I would like to blog and podcast about
it as I already did an interview which had this as topic.

So here are some questions to get things sorted out.

What is the actual process?
---------------------------

I guess it is

1. Write a PLIP, find a second person to second it
2. (will PLIPs be discussed at that point? if so, where? plone-dev?
framework team?)
3. submit it to the framework team list
4. provide code as a bundle (coding is probably done even before the
PLIP, should be finished for the deadline of course)
5. framework team reviews bundles
6. what happens if a bundle is dismissed?
7. release process begins (basically what's now in the calendar for 3.1)

What is the release schedule?
-----------------------------

I know there was already some discussion about it but has it reached
some consensus if we do time based releases and if so how much time
inbetween will it be?
I'd also suggest to announce deadlines for the next releases early then
so people know they have to work or they know when the next chance to
get something in will be (make it a repeatable event in the calendar ;-).

How is the team created?
------------------------

What is the process for defining the framework team and the release
manager?

As for the calendar I'd find it valuable to have it as I spot deadline
better then. The question would be who should maintain it and which
calendar to use. The calendar on the release page is static I think so
I'd think an automatically updated calendar for any upcoming release
might be better. So if there's interest I can also hand it over (or put
the dates in myself as long as somebody CCs me with those :-) ).

best regards

Christian

--
Christian Scholz                         video blog: http://comlounge.tv
COM.lounge                                   blog: http://mrtopf.de/blog
Tel: +49 241 400 730 0                           E-Mail cs at comlounge.net
Fax: +49 241 979 00 850                               IRC: MrTopf, Tao_T

connect with me: http://mrtopf.de/connect