[Framework-Team] trying to improve the process

Graham Perrin G.J.Perrin at bton.ac.uk
Fri Feb 29 08:43:53 UTC 2008

On 28 Feb 2008, at 20:44, Andreas Zeidler wrote:

> perhaps cleaning up the pages on plone.org can be the icing

+1 to progressing in that order.

'...document that clearly sets out the responsibilities...' (amongst
the points ticketed by Martin) may negate the need to co-maintain
pages elsewhere. The less duplication, the better.

Low priority, for when pages at plone.org are ultimately updated...

Framework Team spokesperson, leader, co-ordinator

> spokesperson

'spokesperson' is certainly clearer and more concise than the FAQ's

>> lead ... responsible for communicating

-- from the FAQ, I previously imagined that communicating was just
_one_ of _multiple_ responsibilities of the _leader_.

> the team doesn't have a leader

>> One member of the group is chosen from within the group as the
>> framework team lead

-- the FAQ is slightly contrary.

> discussion of possibly having some sort of leader / co-ordinator
> for future teams to help sorting out logistics and keeping the team
> on track, so to say.

Noted, understood and agreed.

Framework Team members and the larger team

> there are no non-voting members

in which case,

* FAQ expression 'voting members' can mislead

* condensed FAQ expression 'members ... making the formal decision by
voting' is clearer.

FAQ is quite contrary:

>> [on the advise of the larger team] a small group in a similiar
>> timezone is chosen to cast the actual votes.

-- that sounds very much like, a larger Framework Team choosing (from
within its membership) a smaller group of voters.

Current essence: review, vote, communicate, decide

>> * reviewers
>
> the members are the reviewers.  the reviews are the main job of the
> team after all.

So ... my overly-condensed view of the _current_ process becomes:

* Framework Team comprises five people, all of whom review and vote

* for discussion and for formal note-taking, the Framework Team and
others use Trac, framework-team at lists.plone.org etc.

* Framework Team votes are communicated by Framework Team
spokesperson to Release Manager and to plone-
developers at lists.sourceforge.net

* Release Manager decides.

A constitutional question
-------------------------

Is it coincidence that the Release Manager is not on the Framework Team?

To me, there's logic in this separation. IMHO, an overview gained by
the Release Manager will be _most balanced_ if involvement in
Framework Team _processes_ (as we know them) is kept to a reasonable
level. Release Manager involves himself/herself as much as he/she
deems necessary for decision making etc..

<http://plone.org/documentation/manual/plone-developer-reference/
overview/release-process>

=======================
Reviewers in the future
=======================

> but again, it's been suggested to change this in the future and
> have external reviewers, which i also think is a good idea.

Noted, understood and agreed.

========
The list
========

>> * framework-team at lists.plone.org subscribers

> would be very difficult to keep this up-to-date.

I don't imagine a list of subscribers. The less admin, the better :)

Just a sentence describing it as, something like,

'an open list for use by Framework Team members and other concerned
individuals'

That would be harmonious with at least

 > +1 allowing FT members to bring in others to aid in the review
 > process can only help matters, both in terms of making their job
 > more manageable and making it clearer that the FT is not some all-
 > powerful cabal.

Choose for yourselves a suitable sentence :)

I'm aware that Framework Team is small, and that too much noise on
this particular list is not necessarily helpful.

(I'm still in my noisy phase, a side-effect of learning Plone and
related routines, but my noise won't last forever ;)

Let's predict that sooner or later, future noise will be more
meaningful and manageable (99% related to PLIPs) (1% related to Team
process)...

> cheers,
>
> andi

Thanks to all,