[Framework-Team] Re: WebDAV changes

Wichert Akkerman wichert at wiggy.net
Sun Feb 24 19:56:12 UTC 2008

Previously Martin Aspeli wrote:
> Let's all take a deep breath....
>
> I think it's a bit worrying that these issues were only found after
> merge. I'm not particularly thrilled about having code ship with 3.1
> that is not used and that no-one will maintain. Arguably, this should
> never have been submitted for inclusion (i.e. we should've made a new
> branch of Calendaring or a new package altogether), and it should
> probably have been picked up during bundle review, which was the proper
> time to discuss this.
>
> Now, reverting an accepted PLIP without notifying the PLIP owner is IMHO
> a bad idea. We risk alienating contributors and it could be conceived as
> disrespectful of their contributions. Sidnei seemed to be offering a
> plan to improve this situation before 3.1. I was a bit confused by some
> of the details there, but we should try and work those out in a positive
> way.
>
> That said, Wichert's message seems to say to me "I've reverted it for
> now, we'll try again later", in a somewhat convoluted way. If that's the
> case, then there's no reason to panic. That said, I think a message to
> the PLIP author would be the right thing to do here. We also need a bit
> more detail than "it breaks the front page" to be able to work together
> on resolving any problems.
>
> Let's not lose sign of the bigger picture here: Improving our WebDAV
> support is an important goal, and something that's been painful to get
> right in the past. Let's not make it more painful by getting lost in
> process like this.

As usual Martin does a better job of wording what I'm thinking than I
can.

We have multiple people merging a fair amount of changes in the tree on
a pretty tight schedule, so it is imortant that there are no problems
as a result of a merge. Sidnei said he would work on this on Monday, so
I made the decision to revert the changes in the 3.1 tree to give him
all the time he needs to respond to the found issues while giving
everyone else who needs to work with the 3.1 tree a stable tree to work
with.

The frontpage issue I found is very simple to reproduce: if you create a
new Plone site the text of the default frontpage is empty. After
reverting the changes to CMFPlone frontpage creation worked again.

Wichert.