[Framework-Team] Re: WebDAV changes

Martin Aspeli optilude at gmx.net
Sun Feb 24 17:56:31 UTC 2008

Sidnei da Silva wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 24, 2008 at 1:04 PM, Wichert Akkerman <wichert at wiggy.net> wrote:
>>  I've just reverted the WebDAV changes from Sidnei after playing a bit with
>> them.
>
> What?!?
>
>> I did this for two reasons:
>>
>> Hanno had some very good remarks that need to be addressed
>
> And there's nothing that prevents them from being addressed other than time?
>
>> I tested the 3.1 tree with just Calendaring removed. Some testing there
>> quickly revealed that there are other things broken: the default frontpage
>> for a Plone site is no longer created properly this made me feel that at
>> this moment the implementation of this PLIP is note quite mature enough.
>
> How does that relate to the changes I made? Please provide more details.
>
>>  We
>> have too much happening in the 3.1 tree at the moment to work on it there,
>> so this should mature a bit more before we merge it again.
>
> I find that completely unfair. You have not provided any clear reason
> why it should be reverted. I can't see from your email how the
> frontpage is related to WebDAV changes. I am quickly losing any
> interest I had in getting those changes merged. At best, you should
> have asked *me* to revert the changes.

Let's all take a deep breath....

I think it's a bit worrying that these issues were only found after
merge. I'm not particularly thrilled about having code ship with 3.1
that is not used and that no-one will maintain. Arguably, this should
never have been submitted for inclusion (i.e. we should've made a new
branch of Calendaring or a new package altogether), and it should
probably have been picked up during bundle review, which was the proper
time to discuss this.

Now, reverting an accepted PLIP without notifying the PLIP owner is IMHO
a bad idea. We risk alienating contributors and it could be conceived as
disrespectful of their contributions. Sidnei seemed to be offering a
plan to improve this situation before 3.1. I was a bit confused by some
of the details there, but we should try and work those out in a positive
way.

That said, Wichert's message seems to say to me "I've reverted it for
now, we'll try again later", in a somewhat convoluted way. If that's the
case, then there's no reason to panic. That said, I think a message to
the PLIP author would be the right thing to do here. We also need a bit
more detail than "it breaks the front page" to be able to work together
on resolving any problems.

Let's not lose sign of the bigger picture here: Improving our WebDAV
support is an important goal, and something that's been painful to get
right in the past. Let's not make it more painful by getting lost in
process like this.