[Framework-Team] Re: WebDAV changes

Tom Lazar lists at tomster.org
Sun Feb 24 17:53:26 UTC 2008

as a member of the framework team (and as somebody who co-reviewed
sidnei's bundle) i feel the need to speak up.

sidnei, i understand your frustration but please consider the following:

  * your bundle was one of the most complex ones submitted (certainly
the one with the largest impact)
  * each reviewer cautioned against unconditional acceptance of this
plip due to the fact that it was difficult to review
  * each reviewer pointed out several issues that require addressing,
which haven't been addressed yet.
  * each reviewer came to the conclusion that the current status of
the bundle does not satisfy the 'OOTB working webdav' claim of the plip
  * instead we said, let's include the bundle for the benefits that it
brings and then finish it for 3.2

if wiggy, as release manager, now finds that there are bugs in the
code that actually make things *worse* than before i'm afraid i have
to agree with his decision.

this is certainly nothing personal against you. i'm only pointing this
out, because it appears to me that you are disgruntled.

you are free to blame the framework team, including myself, for not
having caught the bugs that wiggy now has, but then again, there
really was no clear testcase against which to test your bundle (you
certainly didn't provide anything along those lines) and eventhough
each reviewer approached it from a different angle it just proved not
to be enough.

personally, i'm glad the bugs were found *now*, i.e. before the betas
and i can only urge you to hang in there for 3.2; i would like to
offer to review the bundle again for 3.2 (which we will start working
on pretty much straight away after 3.1 is released) and to work more
closely with you. i think the work you're doing for webdav is
important and i have a personal interest to have working webdav.

i hope this can ease things a bit for you.

all the best,

tom