[Framework-Team] The final(?) verdict

Raphael Ritz raphael.ritz at incf.org
Wed Feb 20 15:42:07 UTC 2008

Andreas Zeidler wrote:
> [..]
>> PLIP #216: Template overrides
>> http://plone.org/products/plone/roadmap/216
>> https://dev.plone.org/plone/ticket/7750
>>
>> -4 - never submitted
>>
>> (Raphael notes: not sure we are on trac here as all
>> this is about is to include the z3c.jbot package from
>> http://svn.zope.de/zope.org/z3c.jbot
>> OTOH people who want that can just do it)
>
> well, i guess first of all the fact that no bundle was officially
> submitted means that the code hasn't been reviewed either.  so i don't
> think we can include it into the distribution just like that.
> however, that's "just" a policy issue, not a technical one.  on the
> technical side, however, i think we shouldn't just include more and
> more ways of customizing plone.  people, i.e. developers and
> integrators, are already confused more than they should be.  so what
> we really should do is think about better ways to integrate something
> like jbot with customerize and the old customization story to make the
> whole customization story more consistent.  so imo this could very
> well go into 3.2, but more as some part of a bigger effort in that area.
>
> in short:  i like the idea, but i'm -1 on including this _now_.

Note that I said "-4 - never submitted".

My remark was triggered by looking at
http://plone.org/products/plone/roadmap/216
and realizing that we were all positive on
this in principle and then I started wondering
whether that could have been interpreted as
acceptance already because in contrast to most
other PLIPs there is hardly any implementation
involved (for the minimal solution at least).

But I agree with everything you said above
and I know some of us have been discussing this
also at the summit and obviously we need a better
and more streamlined customization story where
jbot might be part of the solution but definitively
not the only one.

Considering that all our conversations here are
archived and discoverable by search later on I thought
in include PLIPs that were initially considered even
though they finally never got submitted in the overview
as well as adding comments where I deemed appropriate.
This was not meant to question our current judgment
though I now realize that I phrased it as such.
Well, it can be tough at times to deal with such issues
in a (for me and I know for many of us as well) foreign
language after all :-(

Raphael