[Framework-Team] WebDAV (PLIP 187) thanks and late comments

Graham Perrin G.J.Perrin at bton.ac.uk
Wed Feb 20 14:52:12 UTC 2008

On 7 Feb 2008, at 02:15, Raphael Ritz wrote:

> Graham Perrin wrote:
>
>> I'll be more than happy to help with the WebDAV aspect, if required.
>

> any kind of feedback is welcomeFeel free to provide any feedback
> you may have on this to the framework team list right away
> (included in cc).
>
> Thanks,
>
>   Raphael
>
>> In any case I have cc'd myself under <https://dev.plone.org/plone/
>> ticket/7732>.

My apologies for being out of the loop. I was on leave for a week or
so (Zope/Plone day slotted in the middle) with no real head space for
testing.

I realise that the deadline has passed, FWIW my
+1 (though I'm not on the team ;)
and comments are in Trac, around <http://dev.plone.org/plone/ticket/
7732#comment:17>

<https://dev.plone.org/plone/query?reporter=%7Egrahamperrin&summary=%
7EWebDAV> is the sum total of WebDAV issues reported by me. I'll
probably revisit the four January tickets after (a) a server upgrade,
3.0.4 to 3.1 and (b) a laptop Mac OS X upgrade, 10.4.11 to 10.5.2.

On 18 Feb 2008, at 14:42, Sidnei da Silva wrote:

>>> We can incrementally improve on what we have on this PLIP. Going
>>> from 100% broken to 100% working is not a trivial task that can
>>> be achieved in one release cycle.
>>
>> Absolutely, and again I'm mostly worried about raising too high
>> expectations where we aren't fully up to (yet) in order to avoid
>> unnecessary frustration by those who might expect too much then.
>
> I think we are already setting too high expectations, as Plone is
> advertising WebDAV on the front page:
>
> Plays Well with Others
> LDAP, SQL, SOAP, Web Services (WSDL) and WebDAV — Plone works with
> them all.

With respect: concerning WebDAV, I _do_ think that Plone's promise is
not matched by its current delivery.

Ending on positive notes:

1) It's very useful to learn (in this list) what other people expect
from WebDAV.

2) At <http://www.bud.ca/blog/plone-wishes> Kevin Teague's
'#16: IMPROVE DESKTOP INTEGRATION' was pleasantly thought provoking.
I'll post my thoughts to plone-users via <http://www.nabble.com/
General-Questions-f6742.html>.

Thanks to Sidnei, raphael, tomster, witsch and others involved in
this PLIP :)

Best,
Graham