[Framework-Team] Testing for PLIP 209: Unified Installer Plus Buildout

Tom Lazar lists at tomster.org
Mon Feb 18 08:21:18 UTC 2008

On 18.02.2008, at 00:20, Steve McMahon wrote:

> Tom,
>
> The obvious just occurred to me: I'll be you're trying this from an
> SVN checkout.

obvious to you (well, and everybody else, so it seems...)

you see, that tidbit isn't mentioned in the README that's part of the
svn nor at the actual plip[1], although the latter does refer to a
tarball in the deliverables section and once more in the progress log.

i guess it's simply due to the fact that prior to this plip review i
have never used any of the unified installers and hence probably just
missed that it's all about the tarball.

> The svn does not include all the many megabytes of
> third-party tarballs required to run the installer. (Wiggy has very
> reasonably requested that they be kept out of svn.)
>
> So, to test the new UN+BO, you'll need to download it from Launchpad:
>
> https://launchpad.net/plone/3.0/3.0.5/+download/Plone-3.0.5-UnifiedInstallerBuildout-beta2.tar.gz

i downloaded this and everything worked fine from then on. i created a
zeo setup with its own python and libjpeg(!). this is great stuff. i
shall be using this for my own client work from now on, as the
buildouts i have so far used were very nice for the client but still
needed to be accompanied by a lengthy README as how to install the
dependencies.

beyond this particular installation i haven't done any further
testing, but as mentioned, others have done that already, so all i can
say is: +1 ;-)