[Framework-Team] Plone 3.1 planning update

Wichert Akkerman wichert at wiggy.net
Sun Feb 17 15:05:36 UTC 2008

Since the framework team needed more time to do a proper, thorough
review of all the PLIP implementations we needed to adjust the time line
for the Plone 3.1 release. This is the updated time line:

- 2008-02-18 : framework team completes reviews and sends recommendations
               to release manager
- 2008-02-28 : complete merging of accepted PLIPs

- 2008-02-29 : 3.1 prerelease tagged
- 2008-03-03 : 3.1 prerelease with installers released

- 2008-03-14 : 3.1 release candidate tagged
- 2008-03-17 : 3.1 release candidate with installers released

- 2008-03-21 : 3.1 final tagged
- 2008-03-24 : 3.1 final with installers released

Aside from shifting all dates this timeline also extends to period to
merge all PLIPs to two weeks. As release manager I'll call on the PLIP
implementors to help with the merges. Please don't start merging your
PLIP until I have contacted you: if we merge everything at the same time
the tree will become a mess.

The period between the first prerelease and the first release candidate
has also been extended by a week. It is important that everyone does
their very best to test everything as fully as possible. This is the
period in which we need to iron out all our problems. Do not wait with
testing until the release candidate! The release candidate should be as
close to a final release as possible, all problems should have been
found and fixed before then.

After six months the Plone 3.0 tree has stabilized a lot, and with the
3.0.6 release has reached a point where monthly releases are no longer
required. Therefore from this point on the development focus for Plone
will shift from Plone 3.0 to 3.1. I will open new branches of CMFPlone
and ploneout for Plone 3.1 and all future work should be done there. (Of
course all changes should be commited to trunk as well to make sure we
will not suffer from regressions in Plone 4).

New releases for Plone 3.0 will only be made for security or critical
problems. After the 3.1 final release we may stop making Plone 3.0
releases completely, unless there are volunteers to keep maintaining a
3.0 tree.

--
Wichert Akkerman <wichert at wiggy.net>   It is simple to make things.
http://www.wiggy.net/                  It is hard to make things simple.