[Framework-Team] Re: Review process: suggestions, and an offer

Martin Aspeli optilude at gmx.net
Thu Feb 7 16:31:13 UTC 2008

Christian Scholz wrote:

> To me it's unclear when coding should be happening. In practice it might
> be in various ways. You might have a component already because you
> needed it and want to get it into the core or you just have an idea and
> only want to start coding once people think it's a good idea.

I think there are two modes:

1) Code already exists (e.g. a third party product) and the PLIP
submitter wants it improved and integrated into the core. In this case,
there's little code to write, except some integration code maybe.

2) New functionality or improvement to existing core-only functionality.
In this case, I don't think we should expect people to write much code
before the PLIP is reviewed and accepted in principle, since otherwise
they could be wasting their time.

> I also would like to have the PLIPs include more of the starting
> process, e.g. usecase discussions etc. Also having the history of
> submission, review notes etc. included might be good (or is this
> actually the case? ;-))

+1

>>> 3) potential reviewers consider timelines for versions 3.2 and for
>>> 3.3, and the date promised
>
> I think we should have some time based deadline e.g. every 6 months
> anyway. That way people know exactly when the next deadline is coming up
> and they also know when the next one is should they not be able to meet it.
> It's only disappointing when there is not definite date set for the next
> release. But I guess we agree that timespans like between 2.1 to 2.5 are
> not what we want (plus the changes in that release and 3.0 have been too
> big to comprehend by not so uptodate folks).

We have rough timescales, and 3.1 has (had?) a published release date.
However, that's no good when deadlines slip. We need to ensure we hit a
certain amount of work (code + QA) otherwise our releases suck. The
outside world is not going to look kindly on a release that is "on time"
to a deadline we arbitrarily set but which is majorly buggy, completely
underwhelming feature-wise or shoddily integrated.