pyflakes? (was: Re: [Framework-Team] Translation effort for Plone 3.1)

Andreas Zeidler az at zitc.de
Fri Feb 1 13:34:01 UTC 2008

On Feb 1, 2008, at 2:24 PM, Wichert Akkerman wrote:
> Previously Tom Lazar wrote:
>> given the aforementioned possibility of 3rd party breakage i think
>> it's plain that 'pyflakes sanity' is a no-go for 3.1 but perhaps for
>> 4.0? since that will necessitate 3rd party rewrites/adaptions anyway,
>> might as well throw in pyflakes sanity, as well.
>
> You may need to properly deprecate things before removing them.

hmm, unused imports?  that might be a bit too much, no?  i mean, i'd
go ahead and remove any import statements i'm not using anymore in my
packages, and that should be okay.  imho, the only trouble are
interface packages, otherwise people shouldn't import package a from
package b anyway, but import it from a directly.

so, how about this?  deprecating imports in interface packages, which
are not used in plone core, is okay as well as removing unused import
from any other package?  that's talking 4.0, of course...  hmm, or
maybe this could be a 3.2 PLIP, too, so we can deprecate things
earlier.  i mean, this policy shouldn't break anything provided all
tests are passing.  thoughts?

andi

zeidler it consulting - http://zitc.de/ - info at zitc.de