pyflakes? (was: Re: [Framework-Team] Translation effort for Plone 3.1)

Tom Lazar lists at tomster.org
Fri Feb 1 12:02:46 UTC 2008

On 01.02.2008, at 12:07, Andreas Zeidler wrote:

> On Feb 1, 2008, at 12:04 PM, Martijn Pieters wrote:
>> On Feb 1, 2008 11:51 AM, Andreas Zeidler <az at zitc.de> wrote:
>>> talking about "weeding out stuff" bring another thing to mind.  not
>>> exactly related to translations, but i'll throw it in here anyway:
>>> tools like pylint[1] and pyflakes[2] have really grown on me ever
>>> since i started using them.  imho they not only help with keeping
>>> code
>>> clean, but also with quickly catching typos and errors, effectively
>>> saving you a lot of time.
>>
>> Careful with weeding imports. I recently had to fix a migration issue
>> for a customer, where a persistent tool had been moved into another
>> module with an import at the old location. Someone else then ran
>> pyflakes and removed said import, breaking the migration.
>
> yes, i'm very much aware of these problems having used pyflakes
> myself for quite some time now.  that's one of the reasons i'm
> bringing this up here (instead of starting to "weed" away on
> trunk :)).

given the aforementioned possibility of 3rd party breakage i think
it's plain that 'pyflakes sanity' is a no-go for 3.1 but perhaps for
4.0? since that will necessitate 3rd party rewrites/adaptions anyway,
might as well throw in pyflakes sanity, as well.

i envision a pyflakes wrapper that weeds out some of the stuff that
pyflakes ist just not smart enough about (i.e. the warnings it
generates for "undefined name '__path__'" etc.) and that a error and
warning free run of that wrapper would be mandatory just as zero
failures are mandatory already.

ah, well, one can dream... ;-)

cheers,

tom

p.s. i made statusmessages 'pyflakes-sane' when you introduced
pyflakes to me at the labelfinder and right after hanno visited us
there and helped me fix a bug in it ;-)