pyflakes? (was: Re: [Framework-Team] Translation effort for Plone 3.1)

Andreas Zeidler az at zitc.de
Fri Feb 1 10:51:21 UTC 2008

On Feb 1, 2008, at 9:32 AM, Alexander Limi wrote:
> You probably see where I'm going with this, but: I'd like to ship
> 3.1 with a set of .po files that do not contain the strings from
> Plone 2.5. Hanno said it would take him "a couple of hours" to weed
> out the stuff that is 2.5-specific, and agrees that it would be a
> good thing to do.

sounds like something to do on the plane... :)

> It will make Plone easier to translate, and increase our
> participation and success rate with the upcoming translation push.
> Comments?

+1 from me as well.

talking about "weeding out stuff" bring another thing to mind.  not
exactly related to translations, but i'll throw it in here anyway:
tools like pylint[1] and pyflakes[2] have really grown on me ever
since i started using them.  imho they not only help with keeping code
clean, but also with quickly catching typos and errors, effectively
saving you a lot of time.

the plone code base, however, is still loaded with unused imports and
other stuff producing warnings and error when checked with these,
which once again became very obvious while doing reviews for plone
3.1.  hmm, to avoid misunderstandings i should inject that the new
code i've reviewed was perfectly fine in this regard and it was pretty
evident from the changesets that george for example uses either of
those (or a similar tool) as well.

so this is more about the existing code base, and i was repeatedly
wondering when would be the best time to start cleaning up these
issues.  i reckon doing it for minor releases would sort of require a
PLIP, and bugfix releases are probably out of the question, too, but
deferring it to the next major release would imply waiting another
long while.  and besides, this would also mean that all affected
packages[3] would need branches for their stable line of bugfix
releases, which would result in a lot of additional maintenance efforts.

so, what would be a sensible way to approach this?

cheers,

andi

[1] http://www.logilab.org/project/name/pylint
[2] http://divmod.org/trac/wiki/DivmodPyflakes
[3] which basically means all packages except `statusmessages` (guess
who owns that ;)) as you can see from the attached list counting the
warnings;  i should note that this list still contains warnings about
namespace package `__init__.py`s and convenience imports in
interfaces/ etc, so it's exaggerating things a little... :)

Name: counting-pyflakes-warnings.txt

zeidler it consulting - http://zitc.de/ - info at zitc.de
friedelstra?e 31 - 12047 berlin - telefon +49 30 25563779