[Framework-Team] Translation effort for Plone 3.1

Alexander Limi limi at plone.org
Fri Feb 1 08:32:34 UTC 2008

Hi,

This isn't strictly a framework team subject, but thought I'd give a
little heads-up on something Hanno and myself have been discussing:

For Plone 3.1, I want to do a big translation push. Our goal is to get the
40 languages that cover more than 99% of the world's online population as
complete as possible.

However, Plone 3.0 ships with translation files that contain strings for
both 2.5 and 3.0. We did a major cleanup in 3.0, killing off a lot of
happytalk, and as a result, there's less fluff to translate.

You probably see where I'm going with this, but: I'd like to ship 3.1 with
a set of .po files that do not contain the strings from Plone 2.5. Hanno
said it would take him "a couple of hours" to weed out the stuff that is
2.5-specific, and agrees that it would be a good thing to do.

It will make Plone easier to translate, and increase our participation and
success rate with the upcoming translation push.

Comments?

--
Alexander Limi · http://limi.net