[Framework-Team] PLIP 197 ready for review: feedparser as external dependency

Maurits van Rees m.van.rees at zestsoftware.nl
Wed Dec 31 16:19:41 UTC 2008

The buildout is here:
https://svn.plone.org/svn/plone/review/plip197-feedparser

Note that I will not be online the next few days, so be patient when
you have questions.

I'll paste the README.txt below for convenience.

PLIP 197: Add FeedParser as external requirement instead of shipping with it

See http://plone.org/products/plone/roadmap/197

Basically the only thing that needs doing is:

- Remove portlets/feedparser.py from plone.app.portlets.

- Instead add FeedParser as requirement in setup.py.

This has been done on this branch (see src/plone.app.portlets in this
buildout):

    https://svn.plone.org/svn/plone/plone.app.portlets/branches/plip197-feedparser-as-external-egg

One possible gotcha is that the *package* is called ``FeedParser`` and
the *module* contained in that package is called ``feedparser``.
``easy_install`` can handle both spellings just fine.  But I once
encountered problems when using the lowercased name in setup.py.  See
http://dev.plone.org/plone/ticket/7299 (which is where this plip
originated).  I could not reproduce that later, but I say we call the
dependency ``FeedFeeder`` and everything should work.

``bin/test`` will run the plone.app.portlets tests.

Happy New Year!

            Work | http://zestsoftware.nl/