[Framework-Team] Re: PLIP lifecycle

Ross Patterson me at rpatterson.net
Sat Dec 27 17:56:23 UTC 2008

Hanno Schlichting <hannosch at hannosch.eu>
writes:

> The exact way to involve the UI and documentation team needs to be
> defined. I think we should write up the process first and then sent it
> for comments to the two others team. We can incorporate their feedback
> in terms of when and how they like to be involved.

It seems like it's important that this part be both structural and
lightweight.  By structural I mean there should be more than just a "we
should think about docs when discussing the PLIP" gesture.  We could
define this either through procedure alone or through the tools.  Could
we include reviews by the other teams in the Trac workflow for PLIPs?
That would remove any requirement that someone on the FwT *remember* to
check for the external team reviews.  :)

One way to keep these cross-checks lightweight might be to start with a
statement of impact.  There are code changes, for example, that have no
UI impact.  In such cases, it would be fast and more painless if a PLIP
champion noted this.  Someone from the UI team could then corroborate
that the PLIP entails no UI impact and that would be the end of it.  If
there is an impact, then the PLIP champion would need to include full UI
consideration for the impact in the PLIP.  The UI team could then review
both the statement of impact for accuracy and the UI consideration for
sufficiency and completeness.  The same would largely be true for the
doc team with the exception that, IMO, all changes have a documentation
impact even if it's only for developers and so there should be no option
to declare no impact.

Ross