[Framework-Team] Re: [plone4] Release process

Hanno Schlichting hannosch at hannosch.eu
Thu Dec 25 23:53:11 UTC 2008

Tres Seaver wrote:
> Hanno Schlichting wrote:
>
>> - Plone 4 will have a documented upgrade story
>
>> A migration from Plone 3 to 4 does not need to be possible in an almost
>> fully automated fashion. We need to ensure we have an easy to follow and
>> understandable documented upgrade story. If we for example change API's
>> or rearrange code, we can document the new places in writing and with
>> error references for the most commonly used parts. If you need to change
>> your buildout configuration, a document explaining the changes is fine,
>> we don't need to build an upgrade machinery for configuration files.
>
> Can I persuade you and the FWT to forego an "upgrade-in-place" strategy
> for moving from P3 to P4, and instead to have a well-tested ad
> documented "dump-and-reload" story?

I'd love to have this story. I think it is even a prerequisite for
changing the default content types story.

If someone wants to champion bringing transmogrifier and GSXML up to a
point where they are a fully-featured export and import story for all
aspects of typical Plone content types, that'd be awesome.

As long as we don't have a champion for this, I won't make this a
blocker for a release.

Hanno