[Framework-Team] Re: [Plone-developers] Re: Plone 4 Framework Team Selection List

Andreas Zeidler az at zitc.de
Thu Dec 18 16:50:57 UTC 2008

On Dec 18, 2008, at 4:32 PM, Ross Patterson wrote:
> So I think it makes a lot of sense to find an alternate way to
> formalize
> the inclusion of UI concerns into the review process.  As such I'm
> +1 on
> formalizing the 'UI impact component' part of the PLIP process.

+1, i completely agree with ross here.

also, and quite frankly, i don't really see the problem:  we talked
about changing the fwt process to allow externals reviewers, and we
agreed (iirc).  we also talked about extending the PLIP process to
consider and put more emphasize on UI and documentation issues.  we
also agreed here.  putting these two together makes it not necessary
for an explicit UI experts to be part of the fwt anymore.  so while i
agree that the new team is more technically oriented the specific
individual skillsets involved don't really matter that much.  imho,
it's primarily more about dedication (or should we say a passing for
plone? :)) and the will to put in enough time and energy.  of course,
technical skills will greatly help when reviewing code — and i expect
there will be quite a lot of it to review — but that's another story...

anyhow, i think the only thing that's missing is that we go ahead and
decided on the new processes and document them.  once the PLIP process
is refined UI issues (to stick with the original critique) must be
considered, and if the necessary skills are not sufficient amongst the
team, well, then some external reviewers need to be found to do the
job...  the same might be true for technical and other issues as well.

cheers,

andi

zeidler it consulting - http://zitc.de/ - info at zitc.de
plone 3.1.7 released! -- http://plone.org/products/plone/