Fwd: [Plone-developers] [Framework-Team] Re: Plone 4 Framework Team Selection List

Matthew Wilkes matthew at matthewwilkes.co.uk
Thu Dec 18 12:10:58 UTC 2008

On 18 Dec 2008, at 10:34, Wichert Akkerman wrote:

> Collecting external input and outside reviews is a nice idea, but
> things
> like user interface and documentation should be a full part of the
> process, and therefore should be reflected in the membership of the
> group which makes decisions based on those factors.

I think I'll answer this, as in my initial mail nominating myself you
asked about my UI experience:

On 5 Nov 2008, at 12:54, Matthew Wilkes wrote:

>> - loves to make sure a user interface is as simple as possible
>
> Less so, I'm a terminal junkie.  I know what I hate, as it were, for
> example adding a new user with the manager role in PAS is dire, but
> I'm more interested in ensuring integrators can easily customise a
> UI than perfecting the OOTB one.  As long as it's usable it's enough
> for me.

Although UI isn't my number one concern, I certainly don't plan on
ignoring it.  It's our job to do a rounded evaluation of the PLIPs,
we'd be negligent if we ignored UI.  That doesn't mean we need to be
UI experts personally.  As you say, there are plenty of people in the
community for us to consult, and I know people in real life.  My code
has to go through usability testing, I don't see why I should put my
name to anything that doesn't meet the standards I'm held to.

Matt