[Plone-developers] [Framework-Team] Re: Plone 4 Framework Team Selection List

Tom Lazar lists at tomster.org
Thu Dec 18 11:13:04 UTC 2008

On 18.12.2008, at 11:48, Wichert Akkerman wrote:

> On 12/18/08 11:43 AM, Tom Lazar wrote:
>>> and therefore should be reflected in the membership of the
>>> group which makes decisions based on those factors.
>>
>> i think that conclusion is the only part where we disagree. can we
>> agree at least on that? ;-)
>
> Not without a way to guarantee that user interface will be a full
> part of the process, which incudes the guarantee that everything
> will go through a proper user interface review done by people with
> the right skillset, and can be rejected even if just the user
> interface is not up to par.

good point. but i can't see how this would be influenced by whether or
not one member of the fwt was a UI person: no single member has a veto
right anyway (on the one hand) and on the other side: if, say, danny
told me that the plip i'm evaluating is unacceptable from a UI
perspective then i wouldn't just vote it in. there'd be a public
discussion (probably on the list) about the issues he raises.

i think that everybody shares your concerns regarding the importance
of the UI (and that Plone 4 will need to become a whole lot simpler
that Plone 3!) but there simply can't be any 'formal guarantee' (i.e.
by insisting on UI experts be fwt members)) that these issues will be
treated properly.

in the end it comes down to how much we all care about plone (about
which there can be no doubt regarding the new team) and the collective
wisdom of the entire(!) community (which is completely independent
from the fwt composition).

but perhaps we could make the 'UI impact component' a formal part of
the evaluation of a PLIP, i.e. add it as a formal part of the
structure of a PLIP (in addition to the current ones such as
Deliverables, Participants etc.)

that way the issue could never be missed (i imagine that many UI flaws
come into existence because technical people didn't realize there
*was* a UI perspective to the given issue). Also, it would make it
easy to get an overview of the UI impact of all of the submitted PLIPs
by simply focussing on those parts of the PLIPs.

anybody care to add their $0.02?

tom