[Framework-Team] Re: atreferencebrowserwidget switch discussion

Martin Aspeli optilude at gmx.net
Fri Dec 5 22:58:40 UTC 2008

Wichert Akkerman wrote:
> Previously Lucie Lejard wrote:
>> I wanted to bring your attention to this ticket that I just opened:
>> https://dev.plone.org/plone/ticket/8779
>>
>> And hannosch comment:
>> I think it might be worth considering it for Plone 3.3. Since the PLIP
>> deadline is over, it might have to wait for 3.4, though.
>
> It's definitely too late for 3.3.

Absolutely.

I also think the merits of this are dubious. I know there was a
discussion on this before, but I think it's going to be a hard sell to
say that we have two packages that have almost the same name, and almost
the same implementation, but that one is being deprecated in favour of
the other. We'd need to ship both, too, since we can't break third party
code using the current ATRBW, causing even more confusion.

My strong preference would be to merge the two, keeping the old name,
and as much backwards compatibility as is feasible. Since we're just
talking about a widget, which has a limited API in the form of the
options it accepts, I don't see why that should be so hard, though I
haven't actually looked at the code.