[Framework-Team] Plip 197 in 3.2? FeedParser

Maurits van Rees m.van.rees at zestsoftware.nl
Thu Aug 14 22:42:06 UTC 2008

Hi,

Since Plone 3.2 will mostly be about packaging and installers, shall
we add Plip 197 as well?  See
http://plone.org/products/plone/roadmap/197
with title:
"Add FeedParser as external requirement instead of shipping with it "

Explanation:

plone.app.portlets.portlets currently has feedparser.py in it.  That
is now available as proper package via the cheese shop.  So remove the
file from plone.app.portlets and add FeedParser in the setup.py.

This issue by Wichert proposes the same:
https://dev.plone.org/plone/ticket/7299
I added some comments there last week.

The Unified Installer actually already has FeedParser in buildout.cfg:
https://dev.plone.org/plone/changeset/18436
https://dev.plone.org/plone/changeset/18907

Questions are:

- Does this need a maintenance branch for the current code that still
  contains feedparser.py?

- In case someone messes up the install, do we want to fail graciously
  when FeedParser is not available?  Or do we want Zope to crash and burn?
  Failing graciously sounds... gracious, but it looks less than
  trivial to hide e.g. the 'Add RSS portlet' option conditionally.

I could make the changes in plone.app.portlets.  If any installers or
recipes would need to be changed for this, I could try, but I would
need assistence/pointers.

The only danger is that I keep writing 'feedfeeder' when I mean
'feedparser'... :-) See http://plone.org/products/feedfeeder where I
actually made the same change last week.

            Work | http://zestsoftware.nl/