[Framework-Team] Re: Resource Registries improvements PLIP

Sidnei da Silva sidnei at enfoldsystems.com
Tue Aug 12 14:08:34 UTC 2008

Since Limi mentioned in a comment on the PLIP that loading CSS and JS
from different hosts can help speeding up the page load, I was
reminded of an idea I had myself:

- Why doesn't the CSS and JS registries allow for specifying
  alternative hostnames for the CSS and JS resources?

So for example, one configures a few hostnames on CSS and JS
registries:

 - r1, r2, r3, r4

Assuming that the current hostname is 'www.plone.org' or 'plone.org',
then CSS and JS are generated as:

  http://r1.plone.org/portal_css/Plone%20Default/ploneStyles4308.css
  http://r2.plone.org/portal_css/Plone%20Default/ploneStyles6933.css
  http://r3.plone.org/portal_javascripts/Plone%20Default/ploneScripts4221.css
  http://r4.plone.org/portal_javascripts/Plone%20Default/ploneScripts5923.css

BTW, while writing this I've just noticed that the CSS's for Plone.org
are being re-validated and getting 304. Supposedly, if you are using
the CSS/JS registries those resources need *NEVER* to be re-validated
because when the resources change, the filename changes too. I believe
you can do that by tweaking CacheFu to not set the Last-Modified
header.

--
Sidnei da Silva
Enfold Systems http://enfoldsystems.com