[Framework-Team] Plone 3.2 plans

Wichert Akkerman wichert at wiggy.net
Sat Aug 2 14:08:55 UTC 2008

I have done a bit of thinking and experimentation over the last two days
to see how we should approach Plone 3.2. As has been discussed here
before the goal for 3.2 is packaging and installation improvements. To
make 3.2 a succes I want is to focus on just those two aspects. For all
other purposes 3.2 will be exactly like a 3.x maintenance release: no
new features, only bugfixes.

The packaging goal we want to achieve is to move to a fully eggified
release. I have done some experimentation with that and the result works
remarkably well: I have created a 3.2 branch of ploneout (at
https://svn.plone.org/svn/plone/ploneout/branches/3.2) which is almost
fully eggified. It uses the the exact same code as Plone 3.1.x, and
unless you look at the filesystem layout it is Plone 3.1. This makes me
confident that this is a goal that we can achieve.

The second part is updating our installers: they need to updated to be
buildout-based. There are already experimental buildout-based versions
of the Windows, OS/X and Universal installers. We need to make sure all
of those are very well tested before we can make an official release
based on them. I feel that this is a good opportunity to take closer
look at our out-of-the-box experience and see if there is anything we
can do on making that as pleasant as possible. Instead of focussing on
more features for Plone lets focus on making people's first contact with
Plone is guaranteed to result in love at first sight.

Of course there is no reason to stop working on great new features for
Plone: in parallel with the work on Plone 3.2 we will also be working on
preparations for Plone 3.3. I will sent a separate mail with plans for
3.3 during the coming week.

Of course we can not have plans for a release without mentioning at
least one date. So here it is: lets aim for releasing 3.2 release
candidate 1 at the Plone conference.

Wichert.

--
Wichert Akkerman<wichert at wiggy.net>    It is simple to make things.