[Framework-Team] transforms

Martin Aspeli optilude at gmx.net
Thu Sep 6 07:33:20 UTC 2007

Thierry Benita wrote:
> Hi,
>
> A remark about transforms in Plone.
>
> atReal did a piece of work about transforms, with AROfficeTransforms,
> the last PastisSprint and some work in progress.
> We also work close to Hanno on the transform engine since the sprint.
>
> We are adding transforms to plone.transforms, but it looks like there is
> a licence issue at some point because we sometime need to include some
> code that is published under free licence (mostly GPL) but we don't own
> the code, and it is therefore impossible to give that code to the
> Foundation.
>
> This is especially true for openoffice xslt transforms (that rely on a
> modified xslt sheet from opendocumentfellowship) and windows transforms
> that need to embeed binaries if we want them to be easy to install.
>
> My proposal is to embeed AROfficeTransforms in the Plone bundle or
> package. We may change the name if it is an issue.
>
> This would provide a full solution for indexing and previews (other
> proposal) out of the box without licence issue.

This needs to be a PLIP for Plone 3.5. I'd love to see a comprehensive
PLIP for full-text indexing and transformation that deals with
cross-platform issue, various formats (MS Office, Open Office, PDF,
etc), performance and links to blob handling.

Once there's a PLIP, we'll need a review bundle for the new framework
team to consider (which reminds me ... we need to set that up).