[Framework-Team] Re: proposed plone 3.1 timeframe

Andreas Zeidler az at zitc.de
Thu Nov 22 12:04:48 UTC 2007

good morning :),

On Nov 22, 2007, at 9:50 AM, Martin Aspeli wrote:
>> Of course that's the other side of the same coin. I completely
>> agree that we don't want that either. Hence my preference for
>> setting shortish (mid-Jan is only 1.5 months away), but realistic
>> deadlines based on the calendar, what else is going on (e.g.
>> sprints) and what work has been done to date.

i've just read my way through your discussion so far and have a hard
time to decide where to start answering without repeating things too
much.  so in short, i think there have been some very valid points
from "both sides".  i completely agree we should have shorter and more
predictable release cycle and i very much appreciate wichert's drive
towards this goal.  on the other hand, i think martin's also right
about too tight deadlines creating a sense of not being able to make
them anyway and therefore decreasing motivation to even try.   i
imagine a deadline (for bundle submission) in four weeks might work
for a later smallish release, like 3.2 or 3.3 or 4.1 for that matter,
but i think we should not try to push too hard, but instead maybe
start with something like 6 or even 8 weeks (counted from the
announcement) and try to successively shorten that span for every
future minor release.  of course, this is especially true so shortly
before christmas.

as a sidenote, the way it looks atm i will have some resources from
now until a few days before christmas, but after that realistically
not again until the second week of january.  that's to say i won't be
able to start reviewing things before january 7th anyway.  but even
not considering my personal schedule i'd be +1 to set the deadline for
bundle/buildout submission to mid-january, say the 15th for example,
have reviews done in the following two weeks (thinking of snow sprint
to be a good opportunity to do some pair reviews with tomster) and
allow people to fix things in response to the review for another week
or so.  that would push the first pre-release to something like
february 5th, which is 3 weeks later than wichert's proposal, btw.

other than that i'm +1 for
     - separating PLIP and implementation approval,
     - having a PLIP submission deadline very soon (november 30th?)
     - submitting review bundles as buildouts only, but a few pending
minor issues like migration etc (should be minimal anyway) are okay
     - for having more minor releases in rapid succession
     - keeping the framework team for these, and even...
     - announcing the schedule for the next (minor) release right
after or even before the pending release

however, one problem i see with the last point is that trunk, i.e.
work towards 4.0, has already been significantly moving away from the
3.0 and potential 3.1 branches.  that means additional work like
regarding all the new (and old) bundles the more minor releases we
do.  perhaps we could try to have intermediate merge & cleanup
releases bringing some of the work done on branch back into a 3.x
release without adding too many new features.  that's just something
that springs to mind, though, but imho we need to discuss how to go
about this as well.  not here and now, of course, and maybe not even
that soon, since i expect the summit to tackle these questions, but i
think we should keep that in mind when talking about further minor
releases.

cheers,

andi

zeidler it consulting - http://zitc.de/ - info at zitc.de