[Framework-Team] Re: Moving Collection settings to ZMI

Alexander Limi limi at plone.org
Thu May 17 06:43:24 UTC 2007

On Wed, 16 May 2007 12:33:50 -0700, Martin Aspeli
<optilude at gmx.net> wrote:

> I would agree that the current Collections control panel sticks out like
> a sore thumb and induces a large amount of "huh" in the users I've
> observed trying to use it, in light of the other control panels we now
> have in Plone 3 (which really is a whole other ball-game than what we
> have in 2.x).

Indeed.

> I don't think we'll radically improve this in time for 3.0. I don't
> think we'll radically improve it ever, because fundamentally the
> abstractions it affords are very low level. Ultimately, it requires a
> pretty deep understanding of catalogs and indexes and criteria to make
> any sense to anyone. We wouldn't put the portal_catalog UI in the Plone
> control panel either.
>
> So, +1 for making this a link from somewhere in the ZMI. atct_tool maybe?

Yup, I believe that was what Alec was suggesting when I spoke to him about
it earlier.

> It's a stop-gap measure, maybe we need a more clearly defined "advanced"
> options that's more in-Plone. But whatever, we don't need to solve that
> right now and the ZMI largely (possibly badly) serves that function
> already. I kind of doubt many people are using this control panel right
> now anyway, or that it will be missed by those not happy to go into the
> ZMI. If it has more general bits I'm not remembering, we should move
> those to a more friendly control panel.

I had a look at it, and there's nothing that I would interpret as "general
bits". It's all about index and metadata control.

> We'd need to make sure wiggy was happy with such a change at this point,
> though.

Obviously. Technically speaking it's pretty much a no-risk change, though.
It's not changing any APIs or other assumptions that the beta 3 release
message communicates.

--
Alexander Limi · http://limi.net