[Framework-Team] Re: The big 3.0 ;)

Martin Aspeli optilude at gmx.net
Fri Mar 30 07:46:18 UTC 2007

Raphael Ritz wrote:
> Martin Aspeli schrieb:
>> [..]
>> There is a general developer mis-conception that Plone's not *too bad
>> at* but sometimes we all do it: More options == better.
>>
> Could we maybe return to the issue that triggered this discussion,
> namely whether or not to bann the smart folder settings from the
> Plone control panel.

;)

> In my view we should not do this because:
>
> 1. removing something that's been around for a while now
>    just confuses people.
>
> 2. In the long run (aka when at some point moving to Zope 3
>   entirely) there will be no ZMI anymore as we know it today.
>
> 3. Smart folders (aka Topics) are special in various ways and
>    admittedly they are way more complex than the other regular
>    content types. Simply saying that many people don't need their
>    UI-configuration options may fall short here because I assume
>    many sites don't make much use of topics (if at all).
>    On those sites where they are used heavily I claim these options
>    are desperatly needed.
>
> On a related note: let's not forget that one of the strong points of
> Zope/Plone has always been the possibility to do many things
> TTW from a browser. In many real life situations, site admins don't
> have file system access to the server deploying their site which defeats
> in my view the current tendency to simply move everything to the
> file system and then saying: "Oh, well, just provide your own view
> class/whatever and override the default in your config.zcml."
> For those site admins this is simply not an option.
> (And note that I am not talking about TTW *development*,
> I'm talking about *site configuration*.)

Maybe the bigger issue is that this control panel is very low level. I
don't think it makes much sense to non-programmers, and compared to our
other control panels, it's a lot less elegant and feels a lot less
usable. Perhaps we can think of some more appropriate metaphors, and a
better layout that make these settings more understandable for regular
site admins?