[Framework-Team] Re: The big 3.0 ;)

Raphael Ritz r.ritz at biologie.hu-berlin.de
Fri Mar 30 07:15:58 UTC 2007

Martin Aspeli schrieb:
> [..]
> There is a general developer mis-conception that Plone's not *too bad
> at* but sometimes we all do it: More options == better.

Could we maybe return to the issue that triggered this discussion,
namely whether or not to bann the smart folder settings from the
Plone control panel.

In my view we should not do this because:

1. removing something that's been around for a while now
   just confuses people.

2. In the long run (aka when at some point moving to Zope 3
  entirely) there will be no ZMI anymore as we know it today.

3. Smart folders (aka Topics) are special in various ways and
   admittedly they are way more complex than the other regular
   content types. Simply saying that many people don't need their
   UI-configuration options may fall short here because I assume
   many sites don't make much use of topics (if at all).
   On those sites where they are used heavily I claim these options
   are desperatly needed.

On a related note: let's not forget that one of the strong points of
Zope/Plone has always been the possibility to do many things
TTW from a browser. In many real life situations, site admins don't
have file system access to the server deploying their site which defeats
in my view the current tendency to simply move everything to the
file system and then saying: "Oh, well, just provide your own view
class/whatever and override the default in your config.zcml."
For those site admins this is simply not an option.
(And note that I am not talking about TTW *development*,
I'm talking about *site configuration*.)

Just my 2 cents.

Raphael