[Framework-Team] Re: The big 3.0 ;)

Martin Aspeli optilude at gmx.net
Thu Mar 29 19:28:06 UTC 2007

Wichert Akkerman wrote:
> Previously Florian Schulze wrote:
>> Hi!
>>
>> I also think we should avoid the context switch to the ZMI. We were
>> advocating this all the time. I think we should have a site configuration
>> like we have now and another one for advanced stuff.
>
> Having two control panels feels bad to me. A 'advanced management'
> permission which controls access to the advanced options feels nicer.

There is a general developer mis-conception that Plone's not *too bad
at* but sometimes we all do it: More options == better.

"More options" is often just a cop-out of making real usability and
functionality decisions. As a user of a system, I want something that's
opinionated, that's been thought through to work as a cohesive whole,
not something that I could potentially twiddle into something that
worked the way I wanted. Even if that sometimes means there are details
I disagree with.

Of course, this is all too high level to make for a meaningful guideline
or even discussion point, but I think we should keep in mind that
sometimes the best configuration option is no option at all.

Other times, "more options" is just a way of saying "bad UI". Compare
the old and the sharing page, for example. A horrid form full of things
into a nice table.