[Framework-Team] Re: The big 3.0 ;)

Martin Aspeli optilude at gmx.net
Wed Mar 28 21:01:18 UTC 2007

Wichert Akkerman wrote:
> Previously whit wrote:
>> we are also moving into a time where control panel style UIs make sense
>> at any container level, not just the portal.
>
> We have a growing number of 'tweaks' that are starting to clutter our UI
> which would make excellent candidates for moving to a container-local
> control panel: placeful workflow policies, content rules and type
> restrictions. Workgroup systems like teamspace would also fit that
> scheme very well.

Note: Content rules are both contextual and global: you define them
globally but assign them to one or more locations contextually.

Actually, the original design had it contextual-only, but it got much
more complex, UI-wise as well as code-wise.

One of those complexities (UI-wise) was that contextual UI requires you
to be in that context. If you were to create a content rule at
/foo/bar/baz you'd need to remember that it was there and go to that
folder to do anything about it (e.g. turn it off if it was causing
unexpected behaviour).

For some things, contextual UI definitely makes sense, of course.
Teamspace type stuff is a good example.