[Framework-Team] Re: The big 3.0 ;)

Daniel Nouri daniel.nouri at gmail.com
Sat Mar 24 12:00:05 UTC 2007

Alexander Limi wrote:

> On Fri, 23 Mar 2007 05:00:45 -0700, Daniel Nouri wrote:
>
>> Do you want to tell (core) add-on developers to not make use of the
>> niceties
>> of plone.app.controlpanel because their thing is too complex?
>
> Uhm, if people can't use zope.formlib anywhere else than in
> plone.app.controlpanel, then this is a totally different problem. Let me
> turn it on its head: Do you want developers to expose every single
> setting in the Plone control panels because it's easier than doing it in
> other locations?
>
> Now, *that's* wrong, if you ask me. :)

Frankly, I think that requiring people to learn another way to add TTW
configuration makes the contribution story harder.  I certainly don't want
to be the one adding and maintaining that ZMI / formlib layer.  Not sure,
maybe it's there already.

If you really think that "advanced" is too much to ask of the users, and
that they're still going to go in there to shoot themselves in the foot,
let's make a hidden Plone page where all these forbidden configuration
options are.

I know that the difference between ZMI and Plone configuration has
traditionally been: "If you need to do more than that, go to the ZMI", even
if more by accident than by anything else.  I don't see why we should cling
to this distinction.

Regards,
Daniel

--