[Framework-Team] Re: The big 3.0 ;)

Alexander Limi limi at plone.org
Fri Mar 23 18:31:03 UTC 2007

On Fri, 23 Mar 2007 03:29:41 -0700, Martin Aspeli
<optilude at gmx.net> wrote:

>> IMO, there are certain types that should be blacklisted from all of
>> these lists (ChangeSet, Criteria, etc) since they are not actually
>> addable types, but just side effects of the implementation strategy.
>> If "friendly types" is related to the search blacklisting at all, I
>> have misunderstood how this works. I didn't think it did. :)
>
> I'm not sure I'd want to make this part of 3.0; such refactoring at
> this stage could be risky and boring. :)

I was pretty sure we had something like this already, but if we don't,
let's at least map out how it currently works, and outline how it should
really be done. Whether this makes it into 3.0 or not is another
discussion.

> Let's take a pragmatic look at it and work out what's achievable
> without introducing new properties and new lists of things.

Absolutely. The amount of good it does on the UI side should not be
underestimated, though.

>> Right, also an old note that made it in. A global "enable content
>> rules" checkbox in the Content Rules panel is more than good enough.
>
> Cool. I've got a few contentrules fixups in the pipeline, will look at
> them then.

Great, thanks!

>> I think you're the only one that understands this code at the moment,
>> so if you could look into this, it would be appreciated.
>
> It's quite easy, I think. If I forget, remind me again. :)
>
> In the formlib add form world, we actually turn off the border in its
> entirety (i.e. disable_border=True in the request) when adding
> objects. I think we need to do the same for AT based objects.
>
> In the formlib world, it makes no sense at all to have tabs, because
> before the object is added, there is no object to have tabs for! The
> tabs that appear would be those for the parent folder, which makes no
> sense.
>
> At least when using portal factory, we are trying to fake add forms,
> so I think the semantics should be the same. To the user, there is no
> object until the "add form" is submitted. ;)

Yup, agreed.

>> Just the wording for the message that needs to show up if you are
>> trying to set Sharing privileges for the default view of a folder. It
>> doesn't exist at the moment (the entire Sharing page seems broken for
>> some reason at the moment, I get a KSS spinner, but nothing happens).
>
> Gah. :)

"Gah" sums up my current frustration with Plone being close to unusable
because of some architecture decision/change in CMF/KSS that I don't
understand. ;)

--
Alexander Limi · http://limi.net