[Framework-Team] Re: The big 3.0 ;)

Alexander Limi limi at plone.org
Fri Mar 23 17:52:33 UTC 2007

On Fri, 23 Mar 2007 05:03:58 -0700, Wichert Akkerman
<wichert at wiggy.net> wrote:

> Previously Daniel Nouri wrote:
>> Who removed JS from checkboxes when?
>
> I did that, it worked correctly for me (and the old javascript did not
> work with in-place edit iirc). I haven't tested why it doesn't work for
> alex.

Actually, it doesn't work for anyone, here's how to reproduce:

1. Edit the front page
2. On the Settings tab, uncheck "Exclude from navigation", save
3. Edit again, notice how "EfN" is checked (as it should be)
4. Uncheck it again, click save
5. Edit again, notice how the unchecking didn't stick, and it's impossible
to get the item to not be "Excluded from Navigation" now.

>> What does this mean?
>
> It means people need to get of their ass and switch to GS profiles. Not
> supporting something like title.txt only encourages that imho.

Heh. I agree.

[Collection Control Panel
>> I'd suggest an "advanced" section in the control panel.  I don't like
>> the
>> idea of moving this back to the ZMI because it's too complex for the
>> typical
>> user.
>
> +1

Even Alec (who built it) agrees that the control panel is too much like
portal_types, it was just put there for convenience.

The general principle behind the Plone control panels is to expose the
things *most* people want to tweak (and 3.0 is awesome in that regard),
and let the things that very few want to tweak reside in the ZMI settings.
It's not about having full settings coverage, then you end up with the ZMI
with prettier colors. ;)

--
Alexander Limi · http://limi.net