[Framework-Team] The big 3.0 ;)

Martin Aspeli optilude at gmx.net
Fri Mar 23 08:30:27 UTC 2007

Hi Alex,

> Time is tight these days, and I just recovered from a fever/cold, but I'd
> rather overcommunicate than be too silent. No panicking about the list. ;)

The list looks good, though I have a couple of points:

> Fix before beta:
>
>      - KSS vs. CMF errors
>      - Kupu doesn't work either at the moment, probably related to the
>        KSS/CMF issue
>
> Fix before RCs:
>
>      - KSS:
>          - Reduce file size, it's currently way too heavy
>          - Get a basic UI on ÜberSelectionWidget
>
>      - Archetypes
>          - After we removed JS from checkboxes, they no longer "stick"
>            (really!). Might have to put that back, even though it sucks
>          - There's something strange going on with enabling comments, it
>            only works on the initial view of the page after saving,
>            possibly related
>
>      - NuPlone theme
>          - Be complete and functional by RCs, tested in IE6 too
>          - Be the default in RCs if the above is the case ;)
>
>      - Kupu
>          - Make sure the control panel removes stuff that is no longer
>            relevant with the HTML Filtering control panel
>          - Make sure you can't insert images that are bigger than
>            Preview size by default
>          - Include additional default styles (highlight, table
>            variations)
>
>      - Wicked
>          - Needs to use createObject?type_name=Document — the way it is
>            set up now, anything spidering the site with credentials will
>            create objects, and any object clicked will create objects
>            (this change will make it invoke portal_factory)
>          - Support both (()) and [[]] syntax by default, so we can
>            remove this preference from the control panel (exclusively
>            using either is still supported behind the scenes, of course
>            — just not in the standard control panel)
>          - Wiki control panel can be removed, only needs wiki syntax
>            on/off switch in the control panel
>
>      - Fieldsets
>          - Do we still support fieldsets that require something on
>            fieldset #1 to be filled out before you can access fieldset
>            #4?
>          - Next button shows up in the Save/Cancel area when using the
>            inline fieldsets?
>          - Fieldset code: if more than N (N=6?) fieldsets, turn into
>            pulldown
>
>      - Sensible defaults:
>          - Make sure the WFs are sensible and default WF decided
>          - Members folder gets created even though it's turned off?
>          - Only HTML available as format by default, everything else
>            assumes knowledge of markup
>              - But make sure it supports loading existing documents that
>                are in other formats already

Also, I'd say that "plain text" makes a bit of sense as being enabled by
default, for those without kupu-capable browsers.

>          - Enable wiki support by default on most types? it's unlikely
>            to trigger accidentally anyway
>          - Both the Navigation and Search control panel does not show
>            the "Friendly types" list, but uses the full list instead,
>            should be fixed (user does not know what a ChangeSet or
>            Relative Path Criterion type is ;)

We need to be careful with this so that we don't make it impossible to
support certain configurations, e.g. to be able to list a particular
content type in the navtree, but not search on it. Also, isn't the list
of types managed in the Search control panel actually the "friendly
types" list itself? In that case, you have a chicken-and-egg problem.

>          - Remove personal prefs from the global prefs section
>          - Don't install the following by default:
>              - Content Rules

We talked about this before. This isn't easily possible right now,
because it's just a registration of a local utility + a control panel,
which happens during site setup. I'm not sure I care to productize it
and make it installable/uninstallable when it's an admin-only function
anyway. Regular users should never see it. If you want to disable the
management of content rules, you can turn off the appropriate
permission; it may be useful to have some kind of global "turn off
content rule execution" switch, though. I don't know where you'd manage
this from, but if it were somewhere other than the "Content rules"
controlpanel, then it'd be possible to turn off the CR control panel
with that switch as well.

>          - Can the old-style Add-on products support TITLE.txt to match
>            the new style products' ability to have a "friendly name"?
>          - Preferrably move the Collections (Smart Folder) control panel
>            to a ZMI version, since it is very complex and not something
>            site admins are likely to need

I assume you mean *not* likely to need.

>          - Put back autofocus behaviour now that we have ondomload (make
>            sure tabindex is correct)
>          - Move sendto/print/whatever to bottom of page, use text
>            representation
>          - Combine delete confirmation page with integrity checking
>            (having to say yes/no on two separate pages sucks :)
>          - Only show the Display/Add/WF pulldowns on the View screen
>              - Possibly remove the border on initial creation forms (ie.
>                keep the actual green border, but remove everything
>                clickable on it, since it causes errors)

+1

We already do this with formlib-based add forms from plone.app.form.

?