[Framework-Team] Re: plone products leaders (v2)

Wichert Akkerman wichert at wiggy.net
Fri Mar 23 07:53:05 UTC 2007

Previously Hanno Schlichting wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Thierry Benita wrote:
> > I was looking for leaders of plone products. I found leaders of plone
> > core, plone archetypes, but not for each plone component.
> > I don't think that there is currently a leader for every simple
> > component that is in Plone.
>
> There is an official maintainer which is bugged by the release manager
> for releases whenever they are needed for every package. But as the
> number of people doing that is quite small at least I don't advertise
> this maintainership of a package to heavily as I don't have the
> resources to answer questions in private about all those packages.
>
> > Each package has a maintainer. This way, each commit in this package,
> > each bug found, each security issue is the responsibility of the
> > package's maintainer.
> > The maintainer is included as a contact information in its packet. When
> > an issue is found, any user can contact the maintainer with BTS (a
> > general Bug Tracker System) or via email. The maintainer checks the
> > issue and corrects it if it's related to its job. If it's not, the
> > maintainer can reject the issue or forward it to the person responsible
> > of the issue. In the second case, the maintainer is still responsible
> > for the inclusion of the issue's fix in the debian package.
>
> We have adopted more of a group process here, where you can add bugs for
> all packages that are part of Plone the product to the plone bug tracker
> if there is no distinct tracker available (like for Zope, CMF, PAS,
> ...). You can ask questions about all of them on plone-users or discuss
> development on plone-devel mailing lists. While they are some people
> that will look into certain bug tracker categories more often, we don't
> have any official maintainer status or responsibility here.
>
> > When a package lacks maintainer, it is claimed as orphan. Orphans
> > packages are listed in a page of the Debian web site, and a call for
> > maintainer is sent on the members list. If there is no new maintainer,
> > the package may be removed from the core distribution. Good packages
> > always find maintainers ;)
>
> I think we would need to remove at least five of the core packages from
> Plone by that criteria, which we depend on heavily and in return would
> end up with an nonfunctional product. We have both a lack at people
> maintaining and evolving certain packages as well as too much old-crufty
> packages. We are getting better in this area though, as most of the new
> Python packages we introduced for Plone 3 are a lot more maintainable
> than the old-style products we had so far.
>
> > There should also be 'leaders architects'. For example a set of
> > components that are dependant each other, let's say archetypes or plone
> > on a higher level, should have their leaders. These leaders would be
> > elected by maintainers. Leaders can give the new
> > orientation of the global set, and say what should be done, or what
> [...]

Debian does not have that either. Ubuntu does have something similar. In
general I'm not quite convinced by comparing Debian to Plone, for
several reasons:

- I no longer feel Debian is the 'best by far' distribution there is as
  was claimed. It seems that innovation is mostly happening elsewhere
  these days.

- in Debian it is no longer true that each package has a single
  maintainer. For a long time large or complicated packages have been
  maintained by groups (policy manual, X Windows) but in the last years
  a lot of packages have become group maintained. The services Alioth
  provides have certainly made that a lot easier and more popular.

- the 'leader architect' role is spread out. We do a lot of design and
  architect works at sprints with changing groups of people, which makes
  sure we always have a good combination of experience and fresh
  insight. All people who work on the 'Plone core' know each other and
  discuss things regularly.

- Each Plone component does have a maintainer, but the maintainer is
  just not always documented very visibly. With the move to eggs that
  can be improved a lot: each egg has maintainer and contact info.
  However at the moment we seem to be putting 'Plone Foundation' and
  the plone-developers list in there; we still need to figure out what
  the best approach is there. Having a template README which points
  to the plone.org product page for documentation and its issue tracker
  (or the Plone issue tracker for core products) and contact
  information would certainly help. A volunteer to update the plone
  paste templates is very welcome!

I'm not convinced that we have the problems that Thierry sees. I do see
that we have an increasing complexity and inter-dependencies between
components which will require some changes to the release process for
Plone 3.5 and later.

I also do not believe in electing leaders. Democracy works reasonably in
politics, but when you are trying to manage a product and its roadmap
you need people with a certain set of skills and experience, not people
who are popular or happen to have better social skills. Personally I
think our current system based on PLIPs and a framework team to review
them works very well.

Wichert.