[Framework-Team] Re: Base tag

Alec Mitchell apm13 at columbia.edu
Sun Mar 11 15:13:20 UTC 2007

On 3/10/07, Martin Aspeli <optilude at gmx.net> wrote:
> Geir Bækholt · Plone Solutions wrote:

> >> +1 on redirecting
> >>
> >> Historically the Zope mantra has been to return data rather than
> >> redirect to save the overhead of processing an extra request. Plone
> >> is a complex application and I suspect this overhead is negligible
> >> compared to rendering a page. Matching Apache's behaviour would
> >> make things conceptually simpler.

Also squid/varnish should be able to cache permanent redirects for all
users.  We just need to make sure we don't render the full page and
then redirect, which I don't think we're too careful about presently.
The redirect should also set a variable which causes the rest of the
template to stop rendering if possible.

Alec