[Framework-Team] Re: Base tag

Laurence Rowe l at lrowe.co.uk
Fri Mar 9 16:22:16 UTC 2007

Geir Bækholt · Plone Solutions wrote:

> On 6. mar. 2007, at 01.23, Martin Aspeli wrote:
>
>> My point in the bug thread is that I *think* the solution is to make
>> sure slashing of links is always consistent: if it's folderish, put /
>> at the end, if not, don't.
>
> I can confirm that the solution is to always have a trailing slash for
> folderish content.
> That way we can :
> 1) keep the base tag if we want, with no harm
> 2) remove the base tag if we want, with no harm
> 3) never get anchor problems
>
> I would vote for keeping the base tag anyway, as it would make the site
> not break if someone makes a wrong link somewhere.
>
> Another possibility to help this would be to make all folderish content
> redirect to get the trailing slash, like Apache does.

+1 on redirecting

Historically the Zope mantra has been to return data rather than
redirect to save the overhead of processing an extra request. Plone is a
complex application and I suspect this overhead is negligible compared
to rendering a page. Matching Apache's behaviour would make things
conceptually simpler.

INonStructuralFolders should probably not have a trailing slash appended.

Laurence