[Framework-Team] Effects of the tools-as-utilities branch

Martin Aspeli optilude at gmx.net
Wed Mar 7 21:57:53 UTC 2007

Hi guys,

I believe Jens merged, and we now have some interesting side-effects...

  - Until a few moments ago, we couldn't create or delete a Plone site
TTW, because it's trying to look up getUtility(ISite) without a context
(in the creation case) or after the site's gone (in the delete case).

I fixed it, but I'm not sure my fixes are ideal:
http://dev.plone.org/plone/changeset/13599 and
http://dev.plone.org/archetypes/changeset/7652

  - All our action icons are gone. The control panel is no longer so pretty.

  - I have a few test failures. At least a few of them seem related to
ComponentLookupErrors.

  - By jebus, there are a lot of deprecation warnings now! Log output
during testing is pretty much useless, and it's hard to see failures.
Log files also grow very quickly in use.

I am all for people moving to getUtility(), and I think we should be
able to squash these in Plone. But, bear in mind that a lot of third
party products will keep on using getToolByName() for a while, and we
don't want people's log files to explode, or the rash of messages to
hide other, less repetitive messages.

I think we should strongly consider either patching or lobbying for
getToolByName() to not log the same error (e.g. from the same tool) more
than once by default.

I'm very glad this branch is in - before the beta - but I don't exactly
feel like we're much closer to beta at this point. :-) Hopefully, there
are just a few strategic places that have to be changed, and Hanno's
already started doing some great work on this. I'm going to bail,
unfortunately, since I'm on holiday with uncertain internet until the
21st starting Friday, but, you know. :p