[Framework-Team] Re: A short update on performance

Rocky rocky at serverzen.com
Wed Mar 7 11:45:41 UTC 2007

On Mar 6, 9:05 am, Wichert Akkerman <wich... at wiggy.net> wrote:
> Previously Rocky Burt wrote:
> > On Mar 6, 4:52 am, "Alexander Limi" <l... at plone.org> wrote:
> > > - TypesTool in CMFCore - adding the threadlocal cache makes that part
> > > close to three times as fast, even after the recent Zope 2.10 fix. I think
> > > we should do this, as we already subclass TypesTool, and adding the
> > > optimization cache here is a quick win.
>
> > Yeah, theoretically the change should go into CMF's TypesTool and not
> > hours.  Perhaps if someone has time (not me at the moment) we could
> > submit a patch to the CMF group we just override in Plone.
>
> Why not optimise this in Zope? That is where the bottleneck is.

Making it work efficiently in zope is one thing.  Caching it to go
beyond imho is just not something Zope should be responsible for.
>From Zope's standpoint the call only takes a few milliseconds and is
only called a few times.  It's CMF that is calling it a zillion times
(why?).  So it is CMF that should avoid making so many calls... if
that means caching in CMF, so be it.

- Rocky