[Framework-Team] Re: Fwd: Re: Inline editing

Martin Aspeli optilude at gmx.net
Mon Mar 5 08:39:07 UTC 2007

Godefroid Chapelle wrote:

>>>   - Single click to invoke edit but
>>>
>>>   - When edit mode is invoked, the focus must be set to the newly
>>> appeared edit box! At the moment, this requires two clicks
>
> Agreed, I forgot to mention I should implement this.

Cool.

>>>   - Save on-blur (as now); if focus is set automatically, this means
>>> that you shouldn't be able to get more than one inline edit at the
>>> same time
>
> Right
>
>>>   - I'd actually explicitly disallow multiple inline edits at any one
>>> time, I think it's confusing.
>>>

> At first thought, this is not obvious to implement...
>
> I'll think of it ;-)

I think if we have focus-on-activation, it'll be an edge case anyway, so
as long as it doesn't break, it's fine.

The way to implement it would probably be some kind of client-side
variable "currentInlineEditId" or something, that the invocation code
checks for.

>>>   - Escape cancels (as now)
>>>
>>>   - In a text box (<input type="text" /> or type="password"), pressing
>>> Enter saves (currently it does strange things about leaving the page,
>>> this is bad.
>
> This can be improved, but we will need help for x-browser compat
> (default action for Enter on from is not really well standardized AFAIK).

Can't you just capture Enter as you capture Escape (he says naively...)

>>>   - In a text area or kupu, Enter works as normal.
>>>
>>>   - Ideally, a double-click should not trigger it, just a single
>>> click. Not sure how doable that is in JS.
>
> I suppose we will need to explicitely setup doubleclick as a noop action.

If that works, cool. :)