[Framework-Team] Re: Fwd: Re: Inline editing

Godefroid Chapelle gotcha at bubblenet.be
Mon Mar 5 08:16:19 UTC 2007

Alexander Limi wrote:
> Not sure if you're on the framework list, but if not, Martin pretty much
> summarized my thoughts on the inline editing. Great work on the
> improvements so far, we're almost there. :)
>
> ---- Forwarded Usenet-message ----
> From: "Alexander Limi" <limi at plone.org>
> Newsgroups: gmane.comp.web.zope.plone.teams.framework
> Subject: Re: Inline editing
> Date: Sun, 04 Mar 2007 22:44:41 -0800
>
> I pretty much agree 100% with the policy below, but reserve the right to
> change my mind on the explicit save/cancel buttons if it turns out that
> too many people have problems with the focus-on-blur.
>
> This should be a simple configuration change later, should we choose to
> enable these again, I believe (are they just hidden using CSS right now,
> or is it actually done with JS? :)
>
> All the points are good, and make sense. I don't think you can separate
> double and single clicks in JS, but I might be wrong. :)
>
> — Alexander
>
> On Sun, 04 Mar 2007 16:04:46 -0800, Martin Aspeli
> <optilude at gmx.net> wrote:
>
>> This thread got really long, but having played with it on and off
>> today, here's what I would prefer:
>>
>>   - Single click to invoke edit but
>>
>>   - When edit mode is invoked, the focus must be set to the newly
>> appeared edit box! At the moment, this requires two clicks

Agreed, I forgot to mention I should implement this.

>>   - Save on-blur (as now); if focus is set automatically, this means
>> that you shouldn't be able to get more than one inline edit at the
>> same time

Right

>>   - I'd actually explicitly disallow multiple inline edits at any one
>> time, I think it's confusing.

At first thought, this is not obvious to implement...

I'll think of it ;-)

>>   - Escape cancels (as now)
>>
>>   - In a text box (<input type="text" /> or type="password"), pressing
>> Enter saves (currently it does strange things about leaving the page,
>> this is bad.

This can be improved, but we will need help for x-browser compat
(default action for Enter on from is not really well standardized AFAIK).

>>   - In a text area or kupu, Enter works as normal.
>>
>>   - Ideally, a double-click should not trigger it, just a single
>> click. Not sure how doable that is in JS.

I suppose we will need to explicitely setup doubleclick as a noop action.

--
Godefroid Chapelle (aka __gotcha)- BubbleNet  http://bubblenet.be