[Framework-Team] Inline editing

Martin Aspeli optilude at gmx.net
Fri Mar 2 22:15:25 UTC 2007

Wichert Akkerman wrote:

> Personally I find the current behaviour frustrating as well. It is now
> impossible for me (using Firefox 2) to copy&paste text from a webpage:
> as soon as I select something I'm dumped into the edit-mode.
>
> Alex, can you give us a rational for the current behaviour? I think this
> wants some discussion instead of a one-man decision.

I haven't tried the new behaviour yet, so I haven't made up my mind, but
there *was* discussion about this among the KSS people, Limi and others
nearby in Baarn. At the time, it sounded like a good idea at least,
re-using the UI from Google Calendar, Flickr and other sites with
similar needs. It was even in Alex' opening presentation. :)

In any case, if I'm not mistaken this is a pretty simple thing to change
(it just depends on which KSS event you bind it to), so we are able to
fix it in time, possibly even shipping the beta with one solution to
gage reaction and being allowed to change our minds if it's negative.

How about a highlight-on-hover like we have now, but with double-click
instead of single-click?

Also, is the event on mouse *down* or up or on click? On-click should
mean that click-drag selection is safe (I think, I'm not sure how
browsers define a click).