[Framework-Team] Inline editing

Florian Schulze florian.schulze at gmx.net
Fri Mar 2 15:16:29 UTC 2007

Hi!

First things first, this isn't against inline editing in general, so relax
Godefroid and Balasz :)

This is against the UI decision made by Limi which I already discussed
with him.

Very recently the inline editing was switched from double clicking to
single clicking. IMO this is the worst change in the UI I saw till now. I
understand the reasoning by Limi. If the mouse hovers the editable element
looks (more or less) like a text box and when you click into it it should
be made editable. This follows user expectations and is perfectly valid
for the places it's used in Google Calendar. For content pages like in
Plone this is very bad IMO. And I guess Geir agrees with me here (he
constantly clicks around and selects text while reading :) ). I think we
should either limit the inline editablility to certain fields (exclude
RichTextFields for example) or do the invokation differently. I proposed
to use an icon in a corner of the editable part, but Limi is right in that
he says it's a too small area to click onto and not obvious what it may
mean.

I would really like opinions on this.

Regards,
Florian Schulze