[Framework-Team] Re: content tab switching

Balazs Ree ree at ree.hu
Wed Feb 28 17:42:11 UTC 2007

On Wed, 28 Feb 2007 02:01:06 +0000 Martin Aspeli wrote:

> Wichert Akkerman wrote:
>
>> Opinions? Thoughts?

> Secondly, I think the KSS team can possibly add more value fixing other
> things (a few bugs, the inline editing UI, a few other places where a
> sprinking of KSS goodness could help, e.g. uber-selection widget) than
> fighting years of poorly componentised templates and a chronic
> dependency on expensive global_defines.

Agreed. Also, I cannot deal with it effectively, as I have not experienced
these problems, and it would be difficult for me to test on Safari.

> If we need to componentise them and speed up templates further (e.g. by
> using more viewlets for the stuff in main_template that can be
> selectively disabled easily since KSS is its own view and viewlets are
> keyed on context, request and view; and also, caching some of the global
> defines across requests if possible, or reducing our dependency on them)
> then that may take us into 3.5 or 4.0 territory (when we can expect to
> break some backwards compatibility again in a sacrifice for speed, if
> appropriate).

Indeed we are talking about fixing something that is a workaround already
and the real solution will only arrive later.

> I like this functionality. I think it's cool. ;) But pragmatically,
> things like inline editing, portlet refresh and other things are more
> important.

Agreed.

It is however also important that if there is an issue, we don't just
postpone it to infinity, but we deal with it on some extent.

--
Balazs Ree