[Framework-Team] Re: new workflows

Martin Aspeli optilude at gmx.net
Wed Feb 28 12:09:15 UTC 2007

> I general I agree; it's mostly a practical issue here because
> the old API for adding workflows to the tool is gone and
> I simply don't know whether/how GS supports doing only
> parts of an import step (import wf x and y but leave z alone;
> don't touch the chains ...) but maybe it's just me and all this
> turns out to be a non-issue.

I don't think it's that hard, and I will give it a shot. The strategy
would be to run just the import handler that updates the workflow
object, not the whole workflows.xml one. I'd have to look at it a bit
more carefully, though.

> All I'm saying is: it's not as straight-forward as it might seem
> at first glance. Which means if we address this it should have
> thorough testing on non-trivial, real-world setups which happen
> to have a custom workflow with one of the new ids as well as
> changes in Plone's default workflows as well as changed type
> assigments.

It either needs to be as simple as "if workflow id foo does not exist,
then load XML file for foo" and never do anything that touches the
workflow mappings, or it's not going to happen, imho. Anything more
advanced that would try to "merge" or look for non-trivial changes
that could be overwritten would be too dangerous when we're talking
about security.