[Framework-Team] Re: content tab switching

Martin Aspeli optilude at gmx.net
Wed Feb 28 02:01:06 UTC 2007

Wichert Akkerman wrote:

> Opinions? Thoughts?

My main thought is that *if* we disable it, it should be disabled, not
removed, so that we can get it back easily and not have to re-do all the
hard work that's gone into it to date.

Secondly, I think the KSS team can possibly add more value fixing other
things (a few bugs, the inline editing UI, a few other places where a
sprinking of KSS goodness could help, e.g. uber-selection widget) than
fighting years of poorly componentised templates and a chronic
dependency on expensive global_defines.

If we need to componentise them and speed up templates further (e.g. by
using more viewlets for the stuff in main_template that can be
selectively disabled easily since KSS is its own view and viewlets are
keyed on context, request and view; and also, caching some of the global
defines across requests if possible, or reducing our dependency on them)
then that may take us into 3.5 or 4.0 territory (when we can expect to
break some backwards compatibility again in a sacrifice for speed, if
appropriate).

I like this functionality. I think it's cool. ;) But pragmatically,
things like inline editing, portlet refresh and other things are more
important.