[Framework-Team] Re: branching moment

Hanno Schlichting plone at hannosch.info
Tue Feb 27 07:55:59 UTC 2007

Hi,

Martin Aspeli wrote:
> Hanno Schlichting wrote:
>> whit wrote:
>>> sounds reasonable to me. speaking of, it's about time for the framework
>>> team to pass the torch isn't it?
>>
>> I would say as soon as the first beta is released and thus no more
>> decisions on feature inclusions have to be made, we officially dissolve
>> the current framework team.
>
> I think there should be some crossover, so we don't have a "dead period"
> when no-one really knows what's going on.

Normal Plone development is going on. Everybody should fix bugs, the
release manager is the final authority, but can ask the whole of the
Plone developers for their opinion on something. No features are under
consideration anyways right now, so we don't need anybody to review them.

> I think it's good if the release manager has some power of delegation
> onto a wider team through the (possibly stressful) process of
> beta-to-rc-to-final.

The release manager has this wider team. It's all the Plone developers
out there. I think we should keep the role of the framework team as
narrow as it was intended. The framework team has been chosen based on a
rather undemocratic and uncontrolled process, which works fine for the
goal it was intended but I don't think we have any authority to widen
our own responsibility.

While I wish we would have a more controlled process for some decisions
sometimes, I don't think extending the responsibilities of the framework
team to become some kind of overall architectural guidance board is the
way to go. I think what we need more than anything else is more
transparent decisions and better communication. I haven't seen any
important discussion yet, that we haven't been able to come to a
solution on plone-dev with an informal +/-1 vote.

> Perhaps we start looking for the new team and get them set up for 3.5
> after the beta, but let the old team hang around and keep an eye on the
> 3.0 release.
> This way, we also give the new team a bit more time to get settled.

Selecting a new team is indeed our last responsibility (besides thinking
about ways to improve the process). We can start doing that now or in a
few weeks. I don't have a strong opinion about this topic.

Hanno